nice spalted maple Alembic

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: nice spalted maple Alembic

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:44 am

playingdead wrote:Edwin, do you know how they managed to put individual volumes on each pickup with a master volume without seriously lowering the overall instrument output? I'm having this issue with my new Walker guitar, it sounds good and everything is working right, but the output is a lot lower than my other guitars. I can bring the volume back up with the onboard blaster circuit, but at the expense of some added noise.

Individual buffers for each pickup would be my guess - Phil had that setup as early as the EB3 in 69/70. (can't wait to have Waldo do that to mine!)
Rusty the Scoob

Re: nice spalted maple Alembic

Postby zambiland » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
playingdead wrote:Edwin, do you know how they managed to put individual volumes on each pickup with a master volume without seriously lowering the overall instrument output? I'm having this issue with my new Walker guitar, it sounds good and everything is working right, but the output is a lot lower than my other guitars. I can bring the volume back up with the onboard blaster circuit, but at the expense of some added noise.

Individual buffers for each pickup would be my guess - Phil had that setup as early as the EB3 in 69/70. (can't wait to have Waldo do that to mine!)

Yup, that's the answer. Each pickup has a trimpot to control gain, so that you can put it at the height where you think it has the best sound without having to sacrifice the balance between the pickups. It also means that the pickups don't interact with each other in the traditional way. A good thing or not, depending on your point of view.

Edwin
zambiland

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion