Bobby chords on Playin in the band JAM?

Bobby chords on Playin in the band JAM?

Postby Icecreamkid123 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:39 pm

I can't seem to find them! It would be much appreciated guys, thanks.
Icecreamkid123
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: Bobby chords on Playin in the band JAM?

Postby Icecreamkid123 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:12 pm

You know the spacey part
Icecreamkid123
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby Grateful Dad » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:45 pm

In 10/4 time keep the pattern of:

D - D - D - D

D - D - C - C

G - A (repeat)

Of course Bob does alot of inversions, passing tones, chromatic scale runs, substitutions, syncopation, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and runs.

Be creative and stay on the beat and you'll have a good jam going. You'll find tones and licks that are off the wall but make sense musically. Don't worry about sounding "exactly like Bob". Find your own sound and have fun.

"If it sounds good, it's good." - Duke Ellington 8)
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby strumminsix » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:51 am

After I post I'm moving this to the PITB section.

Bobby sticks tight to a Dsus2 and intermingles a Dm. After that the best advice is below:

Of course Bob does alot of inversions, passing tones, chromatic scale runs, substitutions, syncopation, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and runs.

Be creative and stay on the beat and you'll have a good jam going. You'll find tones and licks that are off the wall but make sense musically. Don't worry about sounding "exactly like Bob". Find your own sound and have fun.
strumminsix

Postby erubenst » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:27 pm

hey-

if still interested, i put together a bunch of videos on playing bob's stuff- with two on using modes to inform chord choices in songs like Playin'. here's one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHIoHk8i6iw

feedback welcome.

-Eric
erubenst
Vince
Vince

Postby mkaufman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:19 am

It depends if they're playing the mixolydian version or the dorian version.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:48 am

I don't believe there were ever distinct mixo or dorian versions, I think all of them could be described as "major/minor ambiguous", i.e. never committing fully to either tonality. Strummin's Dsus2/Dmin advice is pretty solid.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby erubenst » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:11 pm

tigerstrat wrote:I don't believe there were ever distinct mixo or dorian versions, I think all of them could be described as "major/minor ambiguous", i.e. never committing fully to either tonality...

I agree that there weren't distinct versions- but I do think that right from the beginning- the version on Ace through all their performances- that there's clearly a shift between a major 'feel' in the verses and a minor feel in the 'jam section'- which is where I hear it moving to D dorian.

I'm not invested in being "right"- and so It is good to hear your guys' thoughts- part of the joy of trying to figure out what makes their music so special.

-eruby
erubenst
Vince
Vince

Return to Playin' in the Band