Brand New To Me

Brand New To Me

Postby Trystine » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:11 pm

You know, I never really got too excited about this song until today. I just quit smoking cigarettes two days ago and I was sitting at the desk wishing I had a pack of camels when Black Peter came through my speakers. Before you know it I was singing every word and slaping the beat on my desk. The song really captured my mood. Jerry just sang it so beautifully and drew me right in. It's like I've uncovered a song I've never heard before.

Sorry if I just wasted your time, there's been few new posts and this was on my mind.
"Stupid music makes people do stupid things"--Anthony From Bonnaroo
Trystine
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jck_strw » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:48 pm

This was a late bloomer for me too. And it was the album version that really grabbed me and got me interested in this song. Now it's one of my fav Jerry ballads.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby Benthegoodbum » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:13 pm

I've always been a huge fan of the Peter. It was one of the first GD songs I memorized...of course I haven't played it in a while so I may need to touch up on it hehe.
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby hesgone95 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:12 am

It's always been one of my favorite songs. I love Hunter's lyrics, I think they are some of his most imsired traditional ballad story telling lyrics. But then that whole Workingman's/American Beauty era was pretty inspired. It was also the first Dead tune I learned to play and sing at the same time. Beautiful Beautiful song.
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 am

the "Shine thru my window" part of the bridge is one of the finest most powerful single moments in any GD song... on a par with "Inspiration move me brightly" from Terrapin.

That tangible spine-tingling burst of energy that you can hear and SEE rippling through the crowd!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BlobWeird » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:45 pm

Check out the 9/21/72 version from The spectrum...You can find it in the free stash at nugs.net. It truly is spectacular...his words and emotion will make you wanna cry. And the solo is brilliant. If anyone wants the tabs to it let me know. I tabbed it out a few days ago. I also got some other solos tabbed so yeah let me know.
BlobWeird

late bloomer

Postby chinacat503 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:27 pm

I was somewhat slow to come around to the full brillance of this incredible tune also. Jerry Jerry Jerry. DP36 version (09-21-72) is so far my favorite
Comin', comin', comin' around...
chinacat503
Keith
Keith

Postby BlobWeird » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:57 pm

Oh DP 36 Is the spectrum shows from 9/21/72? Well then yeah I have the solo to that dp 36 black peter tabbed out
BlobWeird

Postby shakedown_04092 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:35 am

BlobWeird wrote:Oh DP 36 Is the spectrum shows from 9/21/72? Well then yeah I have the solo to that dp 36 black peter tabbed out

Well let's see it then!!! Post it!
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby BlobWeird » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:12 am

Ill post it tonight when i get home...Im just gonna scan my tab...Might be a little sloppy but you guys will be able to work it out.
BlobWeird

Postby b weird » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:55 pm

Hey, Blob what other solos do you have tabbed out? Back on the topic of Black Peter, my favorite version is from 10/19/74 on the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack. It comes out of a jam from one of the most smokin' Truckins' ever.
b weird

Postby BlobWeird » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:52 pm

Hey b weird. I got that black peter already up. I got brokedown place from dead set. They love each other 2-3-78. studio fire on the mountain. Althea from go to nassau. and a couple others i cant think of right now. I also have a nice 12 bar blues progression in the key of A. Umm i have Casey Jones from Closing of Winterland. Ramble on rose from europe 72. And ugh i got some cool bluegrass licks that i like to end songs with that ill tab out also. They are good for ending songs like cumberland blues. Ill be workin on more as time goes on. Im not that good of a player. prolly worse than most here so there will be some errors...not many i hope.
BlobWeird

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:08 pm

hesgone95 wrote:It's always been one of my favorite songs. I love Hunter's lyrics, I think they are some of his most imsired traditional ballad story telling lyrics. But then that whole Workingman's/American Beauty era was pretty inspired. It was also the first Dead tune I learned to play and sing at the same time. Beautiful Beautiful song.

this song just hit me recently too..

IMO the music Jerry accompanied to the lyrics is what really brings them to life. On paper theyre quite simple but the chords really convey the humanity of the song and the alternating points of view. Especially that bridge that hits you so hard.

same thing goes for Wharf Rat
caspersvapors

Postby Rev_Roach » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:15 pm

congratulations on both quitting smoking and discovering how great Black Peter is!
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Space>black Peter

Postby Winterland » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:37 am

Space >Black peter from the early 80's will take to to places you never been before
Last edited by Winterland on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winterland
Jester
Jester

Next

Return to Black Peter