Help please! Ending chords?

Help please! Ending chords?

Postby gratefulchef » Fri May 06, 2011 12:58 am

Help please. I'm kind of a new musician and trying to learn some Dead tunes. I've figured out most of A.M. Dew, except with the final ending chords. You know the kind of "shrill" ending chords that Jerry does? I know it's pretty high up on the neck. Maybe at the 15th or 17th frets? I know he ad libs a lot on the end. And by the time those chords start, the place is usually going nuts! Please help if you can suggest chords or riffs right towards the end of the song. Thanks so much! Great forum here..
User avatar
gratefulchef
welcome
welcome
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Help please! Ending chords?

Postby myoung6923 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:30 am

Those chords at the end - the shreddy ones - are just F C Em D triads - rinse and repeat. That keeps repeating that part of the progression - the "I guess it doesn't matter" part.

The triads are all up above the 12th fret and there's a few different places that you can play them that create slightly different voicings.

Do a search for the CAGED method. It will teach you the main chord shapes and voicings all over the neck - and there you will find the triads that you are looking for!

Here's a video of us doing it and at the very end you can kinda make those chord shapes.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
User avatar
myoung6923
Senior Member
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:47 am
Location: South Shore, MA

Re: Help please! Ending chords?

Postby gratefulchef » Fri May 06, 2011 7:19 am

First of all, thank you so much. This really helps. I've actually played guitar for many years(mostly heavy metal and power chords back in the day). But I've never taken a lesson or learned any theory. I've loved and listened to the Dead for 20 years now and want to learn properly. In fact not only learn the style, but pick up the sound as well eventually(got my 78' MXR and Fender Twin reverb).

Secondly, is this Mike from Fennarrio(assumed from the vid /screen name)? If so, I also wanted to say thank you, thank you for the show(sat night) after Furthur at the Orpheum in Boston. I was more than impressed, in fact pretty blown away. Really great stuff. Nailed in all aspects. I pleasant surprise and perfect to keep the night going just a bit more. If this is Fennario, and you wouldn't mind, I also have a couple of questions about gear. Where should I direct those? Thanks again. I hope to see you again out east! p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?
User avatar
gratefulchef
welcome
welcome
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Help please! Ending chords?

Postby vwjodyme » Fri May 06, 2011 7:42 am

Wow, awesome morning dew guys :cool:

I too was at that saturday show, but couldn't really hear anything from the bar area and it was soooo packed we were pretty much stuck where we were.
User avatar
vwjodyme
Senior Member
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:50 am
Location: South Shore, MA

Re: Help please! Ending chords?

Postby strumminsix » Fri May 06, 2011 7:43 am

gratefulchef wrote:p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?

GC - I'm local. We should connect at some point.
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6647
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Help please! Ending chords?

Postby gratefulchef » Fri May 06, 2011 8:12 am

strumminsix wrote:
gratefulchef wrote:p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?

GC - I'm local. We should connect at some point.


Yeah man cool. I may even know or have seen you out here in Chicago. Been in the scene with DSO(early days/Martyrs $2.50 tues!), Mr. Blotto, Hack N' Wheeze, etc...
User avatar
gratefulchef
welcome
welcome
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Help please! Ending chords?

Postby strumminsix » Fri May 06, 2011 9:21 am

gratefulchef wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
gratefulchef wrote:p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?

GC - I'm local. We should connect at some point.


Yeah man cool. I may even know or have seen you out here in Chicago. Been in the scene with DSO(early days/Martyrs $2.50 tues!), Mr. Blotto, Hack N' Wheeze, etc...

check your messages, dude!
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6647
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Help please! Ending chords?

Postby myoung6923 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:41 am

gratefulchef wrote:First of all, thank you so much. This really helps. I've actually played guitar for many years(mostly heavy metal and power chords back in the day). But I've never taken a lesson or learned any theory. I've loved and listened to the Dead for 20 years now and want to learn properly. In fact not only learn the style, but pick up the sound as well eventually(got my 78' MXR and Fender Twin reverb).

Secondly, is this Mike from Fennarrio(assumed from the vid /screen name)? If so, I also wanted to say thank you, thank you for the show(sat night) after Furthur at the Orpheum in Boston. I was more than impressed, in fact pretty blown away. Really great stuff. Nailed in all aspects. I pleasant surprise and perfect to keep the night going just a bit more. If this is Fennario, and you wouldn't mind, I also have a couple of questions about gear. Where should I direct those? Thanks again. I hope to see you again out east! p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?


Thanks very much for the kind words. Feel free to ask questions about gear on here. There's an awful lot of folks that know an awful lot about an awful lot of gear! Or also feel free to send me an email - I'll pm you with my info

Peace!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
User avatar
myoung6923
Senior Member
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:47 am
Location: South Shore, MA

Re: Help please! Ending chords?

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri May 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Hands down killer version of Dew. I love the beginning when mike sings, the cloud of fog comes rolling in behind him "Walk me out in the morning dew...." priceless. :smile:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
User avatar
JonnyBoy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 am
Location: the south swamps

Re: Help please! Ending chords?

Postby gratefulchef » Fri May 06, 2011 2:15 pm

myoung6923 wrote:
gratefulchef wrote:First of all, thank you so much. This really helps. I've actually played guitar for many years(mostly heavy metal and power chords back in the day). But I've never taken a lesson or learned any theory. I've loved and listened to the Dead for 20 years now and want to learn properly. In fact not only learn the style, but pick up the sound as well eventually(got my 78' MXR and Fender Twin reverb).

Secondly, is this Mike from Fennarrio(assumed from the vid /screen name)? If so, I also wanted to say thank you, thank you for the show(sat night) after Furthur at the Orpheum in Boston. I was more than impressed, in fact pretty blown away. Really great stuff. Nailed in all aspects. I pleasant surprise and perfect to keep the night going just a bit more. If this is Fennario, and you wouldn't mind, I also have a couple of questions about gear. Where should I direct those? Thanks again. I hope to see you again out east! p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?


Thanks very much for the kind words. Feel free to ask questions about gear on here. There's an awful lot of folks that know an awful lot about an awful lot of gear! Or also feel free to send me an email - I'll pm you with my info

Peace!



Oops. If you haven't already, send an email again, I think I may have deleted it. And thanks again for your time and input...
User avatar
gratefulchef
welcome
welcome
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL


Return to Morning Dew

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest