here's the video in E

here's the video in E

Postby trking8 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:28 pm

trking8
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Postby spacehead333 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:18 pm

Were is that tiger from?
steal your face right off your head
http://www.myspace.com/reelfootmusic
Image
User avatar
spacehead333
Senior Member
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Another Times Forgotten Space

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:48 pm

in another vid he says he got it from here.

http://www.michasguitar.com/Gallery/Gallery.htm

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
User avatar
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: here's the video in E

Postby brazilhead » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Here's a brand new video in E that helped me a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9YIz60pRz4
brazilhead
welcome
welcome
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: here's the video in E

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:01 pm

that's the key of this song other than on the Garcia album, no?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: here's the video in E

Postby Octal » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:07 am

tigerstrat wrote:that's the key of this song other than on the Garcia album, no?

Well, the Reckoning version is in D.
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Olympia, WA

Re: here's the video in E

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 am

brazilhead wrote:Here's a brand new video in E that helped me a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9YIz60pRz4

its pretty good
8)
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4211
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: here's the video in E

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 am

Octal wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:that's the key of this song other than on the Garcia album, no?

Well, the Reckoning version is in D.


Reckoning = E: http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/the-grateful-dead/album/reckoning-bonus-tracks/track/bird-song-live

But OK so I did a little research. The earliest live versions 2/19/71 to 8/23/71 are in D. They also rehearsed it in D with Keith in Sept/Oct 1971 before his first tour, but the next live performance of Bird Song turned out to be in the key of E, 7/18/72 Jersey City. All live versions of this song from 7/18/72 and later are in E, which incidentally encompasses all acoustic versions. Peace.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: here's the video in E

Postby Pete B. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:25 am

I always play/sing this one in D on 6-string guitar.
If someone calls it in E, I am hoping I am either on 7-string guitar (the intro lick is exactly the same, ya just start on string 7), or Pedal Steel (very easy to transpose a full step).
I basically do the Garcia album version. I love the way that sounds, and I just don't get the same vibe from other versions.
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: here's the video in E

Postby ebick » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:33 am

Pete B. wrote:I always play/sing this one in D <snip>I basically do the Garcia album version. I love the way that sounds, and I just don't get the same vibe from other versions.


^^^ This. I know they changed it to E, but I'm just all about the D version.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
User avatar
ebick
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 7:34 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: here's the video in E

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 am

ebick wrote:
Pete B. wrote:I always play/sing this one in D <snip>I basically do the Garcia album version. I love the way that sounds, and I just don't get the same vibe from other versions.


^^^ This. I know they changed it to E, but I'm just all about the D version.


the early D ones don't do it quite the same for me. To my ears it would be really tough to beat 6/22/73 Vancouver B.C... although my best attended was the stupendous 12/28/88 in Oakland.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: here's the video in E

Postby ebick » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:18 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
ebick wrote:
Pete B. wrote:I always play/sing this one in D <snip>I basically do the Garcia album version. I love the way that sounds, and I just don't get the same vibe from other versions.


^^^ This. I know they changed it to E, but I'm just all about the D version.


the early D ones don't do it quite the same for me. To my ears it would be really tough to beat 6/22/73 Vancouver B.C... although my best attended was the stupendous 12/28/88 in Oakland.


For me, it's one thing to play it and another to hear the Dead play it. I have no problem hearing them in E......it's just that for me, playing it myself, I prefer D.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
User avatar
ebick
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 7:34 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: here's the video in E

Postby Pete B. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 pm

That intro on the album is how I want it to sound when I play it.
That is the quinnisential take on it, to my ear.
I'll go a step furthur and say that Loser from that album is also how I do Loser. The entire solo stays in Am. fwiw, not a fan of the pick-chime solo over the verse chords.
I also do Wheel like it is on the album. With Pedal Steel, and at that hightened tempo.
That's just the way it was for me between '76-'81 or so, as I was in 9th-12th grade learning Guitar and Pedal Steel. Records were my only reference.
I still love all those records.
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: here's the video in E

Postby ebick » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Pete B. wrote:That intro on the album is how I want it to sound when I play it.
That is the quinnisential take on it, to my ear.
I'll go a step furthur and say that Loser from that album is also how I do Loser. The entire solo stays in Am. fwiw, not a fan of the pick-chime solo over the verse chords.
I also do Wheel like it is on the album. With Pedal Steel, and at that hightened tempo.
That's just the way it was for me between '76-'81 or so, as I was in 9th-12th grade learning Guitar and Pedal Steel. Records were my only reference.
I still love all those records.


you and me.....we are on the same page....except I don't know pedal steel :)
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
User avatar
ebick
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 7:34 am
Location: Orlando, FL


Return to Bird Song

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest