Me and My Uncle, per Rockin' the Rhein

Me and My Uncle, per Rockin' the Rhein

Postby DudeWithTheFan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Give the Me and My Uncle from Rockin' The Rhein a listen. Notice how Jerry is constantly playing a lead throughout the song. Any tips on how to play this, i.e. what scales to use?
DudeWithTheFan
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Rev_Roach » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:13 pm

Seems to me that its mostly just E minor pentatonic the whole time. Knowing Jerry I'm sure there's some steps out of it, particularly where the chords make the chromatic step G-G#-A. Still you can definitely get the basic flavor just rocking your E blues.

Gotta love tbose Bobby songs where Jerry just gets to rip the whole time
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby IamDocWatson » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:20 am

i prefer jerry tunes where bobby rips :smile:
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:33 am

Me and My Uncle is a great and easy example of understanding your pentatonics. In this case, the E minor pentatonic is the same (as in same notes) as its relative major pentatonic, the G. Note how the chords in the verses change between Em and G.

Just rip that scale over the song and you will see all the important notes within the scale itself. Get to understand the nuances and moods between the minor and major sound and you will take a major step in your playing.

When I started out playing guitar, Me and My Uncle was one of the first songs I played over and over again and learning how the chord change creates a different vibe and mood while you continue to play the same set of notes over said chords really helped me put the guitar playing together.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Return to Me & my Uncle