Me thinks these lyrics are wrong

Re:

Postby ugly rumor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:18 am

IamDocWatson wrote:moaning low is a common phrase in folk and bluegrass music and probably used more commonly in areas associated with that kind of music...its good for everyone to expand outside of the grateful deads catalog, u will learn more than you can imagine.

NO!!! NO!!! Nothing but Good Old Grateful Dead!!! :lol:
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bear
Bear

Re: Me thinks these lyrics are wrong

Postby zambiland » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:13 pm

OK, I did some more research on this, listening to shows all the way through the 90s into Furthur shows and never once heard prayin', although braggin' is sometimes pretty slurred. Even with the slurred ones, I never heard a long "a" sound as in pray. However, in the first time that verse comes around, I did hear a "laughin'" in this show: http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-1 ... sbeok.shnf

Edwin
zambiland

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Good work Edwin, I didnt get around to listen to that many. I would only consider Jerry versions ones to compare. I must have been mistaken. On a side note, for me I would try to sing the "common" lyrics anyways. 2 cents.
jdsmodulus

Postby Emoto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:42 am

Having bought a Garcia song book in the 1970s (the brown one with the hand print) the published lyric is "moaning low".
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Pete B. » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:37 am

eeeeee wrote:OK, I did some more research on this, listening to shows all the way through the 90s into Furthur shows and never once heard prayin', although braggin' is sometimes pretty slurred. Even with the slurred ones, I never heard a long "a" sound as in pray. However, in the first time that verse comes around, I did hear a "laughin'" in this show: http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-1 ... sbeok.shnf

Edwin

For some reason I have always thought it was Laughin'.
In context, the vision of card table with players either laughin', or braggin' (in maybe a "can you top this" manner"), with wine bottles on the table, works for me... prayin' for a good hand seems like a natural fit also.
I'll have to give the studio version another spin.
Pete B.

Postby ImJerryToo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:32 am

I would be pretty firm in my views that the questioned lyrics are

"moanin' low", "love" and "braggin"

(Actually I don't really see how these are questionable, but I guess that's just me because apparently there are plenty of people with the questions)

I do also agree though that Jerry did slip "laughing" in place of "braggin" at times.

"Put your gold money where your love is, baby" is a phenomenal line, exquisite Robert Hunter! Substituting "luck" there makes it pedestrian and totally un-Hunterish (to me).
ImJerryToo
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby ebick » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:04 am

ImJerryToo wrote: "braggin"

It's been so long since I looked, I just went back and checked what I have on the site. I have "prayin'", which I believe is wrong. I've been singing "braggin'" for I don't know how long.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Previous

Return to Loser