intro

intro

Postby wishfullthinking » Thu May 20, 2004 11:27 am

does anyone know exactly what bobby plays in the intro to this song? the tabs on this site dont have it and i cant figure it out (im terrible at playing by ear) thanks
wishfullthinking

Postby ebick » Thu May 20, 2004 11:34 am

It's there, it's just not really tabbed out.

E (SN) Ab AbhA B

The (SN) is single note

So, you're playing the E chord

6 (0)
5 (2)
4 (2)
3 (1)
2 (0)
1 (0)

Then, (it's actually stated wrong, it's a G#, not an Ab....same note, but in the key of E....) you hit the G string which you have fingered on the G#, then hit it again and hammer on the A [ string 3 fret -2 ], then up to the B [ string 2 open ]

I think that's the sound you're looking for.
ebick

Postby Dozin » Thu May 20, 2004 7:18 pm

E ////

|-------------------|
|-------------------|
|-----------------9-|
|--6-6h7h9--------6-|
|-------------7---7-|
|-------------------|
Last edited by Dozin on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dozin

Postby wishfullthinking » Sat May 22, 2004 12:53 pm

thanks alot for explaining that better, i think i got it now.
wishfullthinking

LLR Repost

Postby Billbbill » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:43 pm

I play the Bobby part like this

--E
e---------0
b-------0
g-1h2------1
d--------------2
a
e

to the verse

...day------------------------------felt your side...
----------E---------------------A
--------e---------0-------------0
--------b-------0---------------2
--------g-1h2------2p1------1---2
--------d----------------4------2
--------a-----------------------0
Billbbill

Re: intro

Postby BwOeBiBrY » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:38 pm

the most accurate and best sounding can be seen in 3-28-81 germany show. bobby plays it as an e shape on the 4th fret and transfers his pinky only between the d and a string with some hammer-ons.
BwOeBiBrY
welcome
welcome

Re: LLR Repost

Postby strumminsix » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:20 am

Billbbill wrote:I play the Bobby part like this

Code: Select all
--E
e-----0------
b-------0---
g-1h2-----1---
d-----------2---
a
e

I think this is what Bill was typing. If not, this is how I play it.

Now in addition appregiate and accent using your bridge pickup, roll off the tone a tadd, add phaser and sing toward the end of your exhale for the opening line.
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:03 pm

strumminsix wrote:
Billbbill wrote:I play the Bobby part like this

Code: Select all
--E
e-----0------
b-------0---
g-1h2-----1---
d-----------2---
a
e

I think this is what Bill was typing. If not, this is how I play it.

Now in addition appregiate and accent using your bridge pickup, roll off the tone a tadd, add phaser and sing toward the end of your exhale for the opening line.

Right, a simple E Esus4 E figure... the part of the tune that needs the least discussion, imho but ymmv. I remember when I was a raw beginner in the mid 80's, the intro to LLR was one of the very first GD things I picked up by ear.

Hey S6, (quick administrative thread-jack:) I just noticed there are no links from song forums to song tabs (which would be handy when discussing song mechanics) ... and also that there is no link that I can find in the forums that goes to the main page of rukind.com. The logo links at the top left of every page just take you to the forum index page... and there is a duplicate index link right below the logo. Shouldn't the logo be a "home" button taking you to the main site? It sure would help in jumping around the site.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:56 am

tigerstrat wrote:Right, a simple E Esus4 E figure... the part of the tune that needs the least discussion, imho but ymmv. I remember when I was a raw beginner in the mid 80's, the intro to LLR was one of the very first GD things I picked up by ear.

I think the issue with the intro is that over the years Bobby worked it up differently here and there and many of us, self included, saw some Weiresque 4 or 5 fret stretches to change the voiceing hence this intro gets overcomplicated and less fluid by many. And I can totally see how a beginner would get this quicker than a more experienced player who has watched Bobby stretch this out...

IMO, the only significance to discussing at any length is cuz of the mood it sets up. Otherwise, I totally agree, the song is way more complex than to worry about an E, Es4 intro...

tigerstrat wrote:Hey S6, (quick administrative thread-jack:) I just noticed there are no links from song forums to song tabs (which would be handy when discussing song mechanics) ... and also that there is no link that I can find in the forums that goes to the main page of rukind.com. The logo links at the top left of every page just take you to the forum index page... and there is a duplicate index link right below the logo. Shouldn't the logo be a "home" button taking you to the main site? It sure would help in jumping around the site.

Great ideas. But I can't make those design changes. I'll pass along to Gregg...
strumminsix

Postby Rev_Roach » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Right, a simple E Esus4 E figure... the part of the tune that needs the least discussion,

tiger - agreed, for simply playing the song in an acceptable way thats pretty self explanatory. the way listed here (snooty harmonically equivalent accidentals aside :lol: ) is great in the intuitive open position when goin solo.

however, bobby's voicings are well worth discussion even at relatively mundane sections! bobby is tough to read, and resources specifically directed at him are sadly rare.

there is a gaping hole in the internet that can only be filled by... a weir dediated tab library! short catchy dotcom domain name - like a jdarks for bobby. feautring justly earned band promotions viewed by the perfect audience! a beautiful rukind symbiosis of course! might i suggest WeirPlayin?

I pledge to contribute the followin Bob parts:

Attics of my Life (whole song)
We bid you good night (whole song)
Little Red Rooster, Staggler Lee (everything except the slide parts)

:D

any takers for a few others? seriously tho, any bob players think theyd be interested? id imagine theres a good few you could tab more or less on the spot
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby Dozin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:02 pm

I would love to see this happen.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Return to Looks like Rain