reggea origins of Knockin'?

reggea origins of Knockin'?

Postby bodiddley » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:12 pm

So when/who did the first reggea version of this tune? I believe it went Marley>Clapton>Jerry, or did Jer do it that way before Clapton recorded it? I believe I remember hearing that Clapton did it that way after hearing Marley's version.
bodiddley

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:14 pm

I've never heard Marley's KOHD.

Could it have been Dylan himself? I remember a really fun reggae version of "Don't Think Twice"on Live At Budokan
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby warrenMFKNhaynes » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:18 pm

marley never did knockin.
warrenMFKNhaynes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Rev_Roach » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:35 pm

bodiddley, you seem to be confused with I Shot the Sheriff, which Marley wrote and Clapton later played
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby bodiddley » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 pm

Maybe I am but I swear Marley did a version of knockin'...oh well. Either way I still want to know if Clapton did it that way before Jer.
bodiddley

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:25 pm

I'll guess Clapton should be credited for producing KOHD as a reggae tune. Safe to say Jerry and EC are and were both huge fans of the Kingston sound.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:48 pm

Clapton released KoHD as a single in 1975. Garcia took the same arrangement, slowed it down, and debuted it at Keystone Berkeley 1/28/76.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Mr.Charlie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:28 pm

don't want to sound like a dick, but it was 1/27/76, which by the way, was a KILLER show. An unbelievable "The Harder they Come" and "Road Runner" and also a very good "Mystery Train". I gotta admit though, I always thought Jerry's KOHD was just too a little too much, too slow
Mr.Charlie
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:45 pm

Mr.Charlie wrote:don't want to sound like a dick, but it was 1/27/76, which by the way, was a KILLER show. An unbelievable "The Harder they Come" and "Road Runner" and also a very good "Mystery Train". I gotta admit though, I always thought Jerry's KOHD was just too a little too much, too slow

I figured it could have been one of the earler nights but my Deadbase VI has incomplete lists except for the 28th. I would agree 1976 versions are VERY slow- most of the songs in 1976 are imo. I prefer the more energetic pace of ones more like 11/10/81 Late... you really get more of that reggae lift in the chorus, approaching a fuller "skank" feel.
tigerstrat

Postby Mr.Charlie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:06 pm

yeah, i'm with you on the later versions, much better. But I still think the stuff from '76, '77 is amazing, not as much the slow stuff, but like 1/27/76, there are definitely some upbeat stuff, like the road runner, the mystery train. If you haven't heard that road runner I highly recommend checking it out, the solo is amazing, and i just love the way Jerry does that song. Also, Don't Let Go is a great disc, you really can't go wrong with mid to late seventies Jerry Band, my personal favorite.
Mr.Charlie
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:36 pm

Mr.Charlie wrote:yeah, i'm with you on the later versions, much better. But I still think the stuff from '76, '77 is amazing, not as much the slow stuff, but like 1/27/76, there are definitely some upbeat stuff, like the road runner, the mystery train. If you haven't heard that road runner I highly recommend checking it out, the solo is amazing, and i just love the way Jerry does that song. Also, Don't Let Go is a great disc, you really can't go wrong with mid to late seventies Jerry Band, my personal favorite.

Right you are, in fact the only Roadrunner I have is 6/16/82 (which is a monster, LOVE Billy K drumming for JGB)...
tigerstrat

Postby bodiddley » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:08 pm

What was the deal in '76? There is some killer stuff but man some of those tempos...You could take a dump between beats. Were these guys just eating up every qualude in site or what? The later JGB Knockin's were better IMO.
bodiddley

Postby Mr.Charlie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:43 pm

haha, classic, yeah, the KOHD were like that, another one was The night they drove old dixie down, that they did so slow its incredible. I'm not sure what the idea was, taking ballads and making them more...ballad like? either way, to anyone wanting some rocking '76 JGB, 1/27/76 is INCREDIBLE, the road runner rocks my world.
Mr.Charlie
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Rev_Roach » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:56 pm

on those slow jgb songs like dixie and knockin on heavens door i find any sung parts pretty rough but still love jerry's playing when he gets wailing. tomorrow is forever is another like that
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Re: reggea origins of Knockin'?

Postby Chuckles » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:04 am

bodiddley wrote:So when/who did the first reggea version of this tune? I believe it went Marley>Clapton>Jerry, or did Jer do it that way before Clapton recorded it? I believe I remember hearing that Clapton did it that way after hearing Marley's version.
Seriously?

Dylan wrote it, Clapton covered it and gave it the rastafari beat. Jerry picked it up from that.
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Next

Return to Knockin' on Heaven's Door