Copenhagen 72-04-17

Copenhagen 72-04-17

Postby old man down » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:36 am

This is the poor quality You Tube vid of Jack Straw.

But from what I can tell Jer is really baked. Gotta be L.

He has a universe, insider's feel, for the notes this night, and the phrasing is upside out, inside down. After he gets through the first between verses lead, which is so different in its context, and sounds so cool, you can just tell how he is working off of the very smooth rhythm Bobby is laying down, and he is punctuating it so "neatly" and effortlessly, that there is only one way to stay on top of the beat without even thinking about it, and that's the L.

Phil can't believe how Jer's riffs come off and gives a chuckle because he must know the band's secret of success this night. IMHO.
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Rev_Roach » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:03 pm

luckily this show is available in a great looking video. a kind soul who shares his moniker with the song you mention once sent me a copy of it. (thanks again) :cool:

I'll give it a watch later with a critical eye, looking for enlarged pupils, trippy dancing, extra goofy grins, and band members staring at inanimate objects for extended periods of time.
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby old man down » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Just gave it yet another listen.

The really nice phrasing begins at 0.56, the motif for this night's version defined by the 1:00 mark, which he works from, repeats and echos throughout. Very, very tasty.

And sweet bridging between each phrase so that they all come together as a whole thought. The charismatic slur-bridge at 1:15, the bullet-punch at 1:38. Nothing really fast or involving full arm-wrestling-strength rhythm strokes of years later. So nice.

For me, without a doubt, this is the style of play I wish I could emulate. I feel twenty five years younger hearing it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRRjt2lU_4[/youtube]
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Re: Copenhagen 72-04-17

Postby revloren » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post; sorry no avatar, etc.

What's up with Bob taking all of the verse? Much of the joy in this song is Jerry and Bobby switching off lines(even on these early versions). It IS a story of two compadres on a shared adventure after all.

Too bad the music doesn't quite cue up on this clip.
revloren
welcome
welcome

Postby strumminsix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:58 pm

revloren wrote:Hi everyone,

This is my first post; sorry no avatar, etc.

What's up with Bob taking all of the verse? Much of the joy in this song is Jerry and Bobby switching off lines(even on these early versions). It IS a story of two compadres on a shared adventure after all.

Too bad the music doesn't quite cue up on this clip.

WELCOME!!!! It's how it was originally done. It's funny how the songs refine over time!

I see it more like the first verse (Gotta go to Tulsa) is the protagonist talking to his compadres and the second verse (ain't no place a man can hide) is the protagonist thinking or writing to his woman (Shannon).
strumminsix

Postby mijknahs » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Shannon is also a man's name. One of our old guitar players has a brother who's name is Shannon (Irish name).

The Jack Straw character (played by Bobby) is speaking to Shannon (played by Jerry).
mijknahs

Postby mijknahs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Always love to share good sharing Mr. SPAMBOT!
mijknahs

Return to Jack Straw